Dr. Franca Cortoni is one of the world’s leading experts on women who sexually abuse. She is currently a full time faculty member of the University of Montreal School of Criminology, a research fellow at the International Center of Comparative Criminology, and president of ATSA (Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers).
In this episode, Dr. Cortoni:
- Expels the popular myth that there is no such thing as a woman who purposefully choose to sexually abuse.
- Explains why we cannot apply to women the same tools that have been developed for assessing risk of recidivism in men.
- Talks about gender differences in treatment and management needs.
Be sure to leave us your comments/questions on this podcast episode!
Related SSP Material:
– Women Who Sexually Abuse: Assessment, Treatment, and Management, by Franca Cortoni – Dr. Cortoni reviews what we currently know about women who engaged in sexually abusive behavior and recommends best practices for the assessment, treatment and management of female sexual offenders
– Safer Society Handbook of Sexual Abuser Assessment and Treatment, Chapter 15, Working with Women Who Sexually Offend, by Franca Cortoni, a pdf downloadable.