Gerry Blasingame, PsyD, is a professional trainer and consultant widely recognized as an expert on program development and best practices in the treatment of forensic clients with developmental disabilities as well as juveniles with sexual behavior problems. In this interview, Gerry gives us advice about approaching the subject of healthy sexuality with teens who have intellectual disabilities.
Listen as Gerry offers:
- advice on how parents should begin teaching and modeling healthy sexuality attitudes and behavior when their children are young
- guidelines for caregivers and guardians on helping teens with intellectual disabilities understand healthy sexual behavior
- lessons about communicating with intellectually disabled teens about healthy sexuality that he has learned from his own professional experience
Be sure to leave us your comments on this episode, and suggest questions that Mary might ask Gerry in a future episode!
Related SSP Material:
Three works written or edited by Gerry Blasingame:
- Practical Treatment Strategies for Persons with Intellectual Disabilities
- An Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorders, Sexual Behaviors, and Therapeutic Intervention
- Downloadable pdf of the Safer Society Handbook Chapter 13 Working with Men with Intellectual Disabilities