Course Title: Cultural Humility in Correctional Assessment and Treatment
This exam contains 25 questions. In order to receive credit, you MUST get at least 20 questions correct. You may attempt the quiz as many times as you’d like.
1) What are the three components emphasized by most models of multicultural competencies?
2) ____ is the collective identity of a group based on common heritage, which may include language, religion, geographic origin, and specific cultural practices.
3) Microaggressions rarely occur in therapy settings.
4) Which one of the below is a category of a microaggression?
5) In some cultures, social shame may be caused by revealing personal information.
6) Therapist-client matching (based on gender, race, and sexual orientation) is always recommended for treatment.
7) Cultural competence may involve both culture-specific and generic strategies to address a range of practical issues in ______ work.
8) Johnson et al. (2004) discussed ____ strategies to aid in achieving cultural competence.
9) In the study by Owen, et al. (2014), what percentage of racial/ethnic minority clients reported microaggression in their therapy?
10) Which of following is a benefit to using person-centered language?
11) To improve mental health services for people of color, professionals have emphasized the need for cultural _____ between therapists and clients.
12) According to Owen (2013), cultural humility is the ability to maintain an _____ stance that is the other-oriented in relation to aspects of cultural identity that are more important to the client.
13) Which of the following statements is NOT true of culturally humble individuals?
14) Which of the following are included in multiculturalism?
15) Which of the following statements is true of the intersectionality concept?
16) The definition of race is usually ascribed by others and cannot be readily changed or discarded unless larger social criteria change.
17) According to Kirmayer et al. (2008), ______ refers to ways in which cultures differentiate and define roles based on biological sex or reproductive functions
18) ____ are explicit behaviors, such as name-calling, avoidance, and discrimination, that are intended to hurt a person of color.
19) To which of the following does the term “cisgender” refer?
20) Most of the early research on microaggression focus on experiences of people of ____.
21) Which of the following is an example of gender microaggression?
22) Cultural competence is a life-long commitment and process and can be seen as a form of ____.
23) Much of our clinical training reflects mainstream culture, which tends to reflect largely ___, middle class ways of thinking and being in the world.
24) _____ refers to developing an understanding of one’s own cultural background and the ways in which it influences one’s personal attitudes, values, and beliefs.
25) Which of the following statements about bias is true?